|A retreat for the well-being of my mind from the insanity of the life that is mine.|
Thursday, August 11, 2005 0 comments
Reading: Russian bird flu advances, Kazakhs say virus deadly
Currently listening to: The Chemicals Between Us - Bush
Quote of the day: "People who throw kisses are hopelessly lazy." - Bob Hope
Man, just when i thought the haze couldn't get any worse... :(
Its REALLY bad today, more so than previous days, with visibility down to about 200-300m and the vast majority of people wearing face masks. I've been following the Malaysian Haze Pollutant Index for a while now but today they've actually shut down Subang Airport (KLIA is still operational) and there are unconfirmed reports that Port Klang has finally hit the 500 point API limit which indicates severe health hazards... As for KL, its gotten so bad that i can clearly see the telltale mist INSIDE my apartment from about 5 metres away while everything is bathed in an eerie dusky yellowish glow from the diffusion of the sunlight from the haze giving it the feel of an eternal sunset despite it being 2pm in the afternoon...
Just my luck that i live in a Penthouse AND that i find sunsets immensely depressing, huh? :(
Thankfully, unlike some of my co-workers i have yet to experience any detrimental physical side effects yet (thank you veteran lungs!)... ;)
Shit, they expect us to live through this for the next TWO MONTHS???
Anyhow, Lyanna sent this to me via email and i figured that it might come in handy for some of you out there:
PREVENTION OF HAZE-RELATED ILLNESSES
* Close all windows and doors to your bedroom. Boil a kettle (electric) of water in the room and allow the steam to fill the room. Allow 10 - 15 minutes for the fine water vapor (steam) to collect the pollutants / particles in the air and settle down. After this the room should contain healthier air.
* Usage of face and surgical masks are of no use if they are not regularly changed as they can act as a base for bacteria to grow and result in other infections. Only very close fitting masks that do not allow air to enter through the sides of the mask are effective.
* Limit all outdoor activity as far as possible e.g avoid outdoor sport or physical activities.
* Always wash / bathe as soon as you return from outdoors. This will minimize eye / skin irritation. For minor eye irritation try using over the counter eye drops e.g Eye Mo.
* Use your car air-conditioner when traveling in the car.
* Drink a lot of water.
* Smokers are advised to quit smoking.
* Those who suffer from diseases such as flu, bronchitis, asthma, conjunctivitis, heart diseases or chronic lung diseases should seek immediate treatment at the clinic or hospital if their condition worsens.
HAZE THREATENS YOUR HEALTH
Continuous hazy conditions will cause ill effects to all people especially
those in the high risk groups such as :-
2. The elderly
3. Those with illnesses like, Asthma, Bronchitis, Pneumonia, Chronic lung diseases, Heart diseases and Allergies
4. Cigarette smokers
5. Those who work outdoors most of the time
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF HEALTH PROBLEMS AS A RESULT OF EXPOSURE TO THE HAZE?
The effects of continuous exposure to the haze include:-
* * * * *Itchy sensation in the throat, and coughing, increased phlegm
* * * * *Difficulty in breathing (wheeze) or nose block
* * * * *Pain, irritation, red and watery eyes
* * * * *Itchy skin rashes
If above symptoms persist, get advice and treatment at the nearest clinic.
WHAT IS 'HAZE' ?
Haze is a phenomenon or occurrence caused by the accumulation of fine particles in the air which are barely visible to naked eye. These particles may occur naturally or may be an outcome of human activities like open burning or smoky discharges from factories and exhaust of motor vehicles. When these particles accumulate in large quantities and suspend in the air, they can lock out sunlight and visibility will be greatly reduced.
AIR POLLUTANT INDEX (API)
The API is obtained from the measurement of fine particles (below 10 microns) and several gases which are hazardous to health such as carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and ozone. The API is used as a guide for measuring air quality and its effect on health as follows :-
API VALUE STATUS
0 - 50 - Good
51 - 100 - Moderate
101 - 200 - Unhealthy
201 - 300 - Very unhealthy
301 - 500 - Dangerous
My eyes tend to glaze over the 'quit smoking' parts though... how strange. :p
I've gotta go and get my father's birthday gift at One Utama now so, on a lighter note, i'll leave you all with this - as sent to me by my other fellow corporate slave Chatts.
I'd like to title it "Ye Ole Crass Toilet humour" but instead i will call it by its email title...
Squirrel who runs up woman's leg do not find nuts.
When i was born i got a choice - a big dick or a good memory. I can't remember what i chose.
Your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory.
My wife is a sex object. Every time i ask for sex she objects.
Impotence: Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings."
There are only two four letter words that are offensive to men - "don't" and "stop", unless they are used together.
Panties are not the best thing on earth, but are next to the best thing on earth.
There are three stages to sex in a person's life: Tri Weekly, Try Weekly, and Try Weakly.
Virginity can be cured.
A couple who just got married were happy with the whole thing. He was happy with the Hole, and she was happy with the Thing...
What are the three biggest tragedies in a man's life?
A: Life sucks, job sucks, and the wife doesn't.
What's the difference between a bitch and a whore?
A: A whore sleeps with everyone at a party and a bitch sleeps with everyone but you.
Why do men find it hard to make eye contact?
A: Breasts don't have eyes.
Of course you've heard about the Viagra computer virus, it turns your 3.5 inch floppy into a hard disk.
Despite the old saying, "Don't take your troubles to bed", many men still sleep with their wives!!!
*urgh* Man some of those are pretty bad!
Feel... so... dirty...now... :p
Anyhoo, i'm off!
Name: Patrick Pincon
Studied at: Monash
Work: Business Development
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
See my complete profile!
My Ugly Mug
Bitch 2 Pat!
My Old Website
The Drudge Report
Guide to Philosophy
Speed Date Malaysia
The Smoking Gun
Malaysian Idol Insider
Malaysian Idol Videos Site
The Brunching Shuttlecocks
Arms Control Wonk
Modern Firearms & Ammunition
Lawyers, Guns And Money
Did They Read It?
KL Nightlife Listing
Player vs Player
Ctrl + Alt + Del
Home Star Runner
Return To Sender
Neko The Kitty
FHM's 100 Greatest Games
Little Fluffy Industries
Blogs/Sites I Visit
free web statistics
design by maystar
powered by blogger